Confessions of a Curious Mind

Friday, November 19, 2010

Coffee Shop

I have been trying to write something since quite some time but not able to get my thoughts in place. It seems like my mind is not in its right place, things are moving around in my head & there is lack of peace. From experience I have noticed that I usually write the best either when I am really happy or I am really sad. Fortunately or unfortunately, most of my life seems to be hanging somewhere in between both these extremes.
So i am sitting in a cafeteria, drinking coffee & trying very hard to think of interesting topics to write but nothing striking comes to my head. So I would do the not so nice task of observing people in the cafeteria & writing about them.
On my right hand side is a youngish middle aged guy wearing formal clothes with a tie having coffee. He has a jacket folded on the chair & has a silver briefcase lying next to it. He looks old enough to make me believe that he is not going for an interview but is he working from here? He is taking notes & just took out his Mcbook to type the notes I presume.
Why do people come to coffee shops? Obviously to drink coffee but what apart from that? Why would they like to drink coffee? To wake up or be fresh for going to work ? if that was the case it would be difficult to imagine them having anything other than a takeaway. Looking around it makes me believe that a lot of people come to cafeterias to work. Coffee shops give people a sense of calm & peace which enables them to think, do work peacefully. If you think I am stating the obvious or the stupid, try imagining working out of a pizza shop.

Surprisingly, most coffee shops or atleast the ones to where I have been to choose to play similar kind of music. Mostly it is soft, melodic & quite unintrusive. The lighting is soft & smooth & mostly they have colorful walls which bring in a sense of soothing to the mind. The furniture is mostly wood which gives it an aura of non flamboyance but kind of understated elegance.

I should visit various coffee shops to see this phenomenon better. Maybe if nothing else, it would help me get back into the habit of writing again

See ya soon

1 Comments:

At November 20, 2010 at 12:08 AM , Anonymous ranjyte said...

The guy's tie drinks coffee, you say. That's not interesting? And what's a McBook? Does it come with fries?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home